CLEAN HYDROGEN: THE KEY CONCEPTS
Introduction to the workshop:
Terminology is explained and demystified, covering the value chain from production (grey, blue, green or turquoise?) to transport (compression, liquification or conversion?) to end-use (fuel cells or combustion?). The aim is to provide a comprehensible explanation of the core technological features and variables within the hydrogen landscape, one which is immediately accessible and relevant to business-focused people.
Key data and features of the current hydrogen market are also reviewed, future market opportunities segmented and emerging projects and applications highlighted
Hydrogen today, ‘hydrogen economies’ in future?
• Energy decarbonisation pathways & proposed roles for hydrogen
• The value chain & competitive environment
• Sector coupling and hydrogen hubs
• Who’s involved in hydrogen and what are their motivations?
• Current demand for hydrogen
• The two key end-use options: fuel cells, combustion
• Hydrogen as energy storage
• Can poor efficiency and favourable economics co-exist?
• Which ‘colour’: brown, blue or green?
• Linking hydrogen with carbon capture (CCS / CCUS)
• Limits to the scale-up of green hydrogen (electrolysis)
• Emerging production methods
Distributing and transporting hydrogen
• Physical attributes and distribution challenges
• Compression, liquification and natural gas blending
• Ammonia as a hydrogen carrier (and others)
• Emerging storage and transport options: LOHCs and metal hydrides
Grey Cells Energy Ltd
Dr John Massey is Managing Director of Grey Cells Energy Ltd., where he conducts independent market assessment and opportunity/risk analysis for clean energy technologies. He delivers market briefings and training courses worldwide, along with strategy and business plan consulting to help companies (particularly SMEs) position themselves to best grasp new low-carbon market opportunities.
John was one of the original co-founders of the Green Power Academy over ten years ago and has continued to work with us as a regular course trainer ever since.